Design, Helpful Tips
Incorporating Ergonomics in Your Workplace
Many office employees spend their days sitting at a desk, looking at a computer screen and typing on a keyboard. Studies show that a sedentary working style can have negative health effects, from muscle aches to an increased risk of asthma. Implementing workplace ergonomics can help avoid these issues, keeping people healthy, happy and productive.
Ergonomic Best Practices for Your Workstation
Enhance comfort and reduce fatigue while working at a desk by following these ergonomic best practices:
- Support your arm weight: Support the weight of your arms at all times. When your arm weight isn’t supported, your neck and shoulder muscles will get sore by the end of the day.
- Avoid slouching: Slouching puts pressure on the discs and vertebrae in your back. To avoid slouching, use your chair’s lumbar support and move your chair close to your desk to prevent leaning and reaching.
- Place your monitor and keyboard properly: Your monitor should be directly in front of you, with the top no higher than eye level. Your keyboard should be directly in front of your monitor to help you avoid turning your head and neck frequently. Your keyboard and mouse should also be close enough to prevent reaching, which can strain your arms and shoulders.
- Ensure your feet touch the floor: When your legs dangle, your pelvis tilts backward and your core works overtime to compensate, causing muscle strain and lower back pain. Ideally, your feet should touch the floor with your thighs parallel to the ground. Lower your chair or use a footrest to achieve this position.
Upgrade Your Ergonomics With Custom Furniture
People should have comfortable, healthy workstations. Poorly designed office furniture can have negative health impacts, from sore muscles to chronic back pain. Fortunately, ergonomic office furniture solutions are easy to implement when you choose custom options.
At Greg Pilotti Furniture Makers, we create custom office furniture for improved workplace ergonomics. You can choose from a range of sizes, layouts, finishes and wood species to meet your needs and preferences. Our office furniture options include:
- Desks: We build media desks with solid wood surfaces and steel legs that are durable and attractive for your modern office.
- Workstations: Our office workstations are available with veneer, laminate or solid wood tops. They have sturdy metal bases that allow for open spans at each seat.
- Conference tables: Get a custom-made table for your conference room. We have a vast selection of styles, sizes, finishes and wood species.
Find Custom Comfort for Your Office
Improve your office ergonomics with custom furniture from Greg Pilotti Furniture Makers. Get in touch with us today to learn more about our options.